Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 44- Blue

I used up the last of my laundry detergent this weekend, and since some people asked how I make my own detergent, I thought I'd use today's topic to squeeze that in.  Today's assignment is 'blue' and since my creative brain is brain dead by 3:00, you'll have to settle for knowing the bucket I mix it up in is dark blue :)
 Here is what you need: all purchased at Publix in the laundry isle for around 10$.
Borax
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
Oxi Clean (optional)
Fels-Naptha (bar soap/stain remover)
1 bar of soap (any kind you've already got on hand at home)
large bowl or bucket to mix ingredients in
hand grater (like for cheese)
Next, add about 1/3 of the box of Borax, half the box of washing soda, heaping scoop of Oxi-clean, and grate half the bars of soap into the mix
I use this BLUE BUCKET to mix it all together. It's 2.5 gallons...not too big but big enough :)
Next, add another 1/3 box of the Borax, the rest of the washing soda, another big scoop of Oxi-clean, and grate the rest of the bars (the worst part of making this, my arm was killing me!) and mix it all up.
Here's how it looks when it's all mixed up and ready to go.
I keep mine in this Sterilite container (got it at Target for 5-6$) and use a 1/2 cup measuring scoop for each load.  Be prepared for NO suds.  It isn't supposed to make any, and cleans wonderfully. It also doesn't have much of a scent (just the scent of the bar soap you choose), so you might add a little fabric softener if you like a stronger scent. So, for around 10$ or less (I didn't use all the Borax or Oxi-Clean, and will use them again in the next batch) I get about 80 loads of laundry.   In a week or so, I will need to make more dishwasher detergent powder and maybe I'll find a way to incorporate that in the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment