Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 14

Well, the transition to no cable begins.....Today Jerry installed a flat antenna and a Roku to our living room TV.  I was very skeptical of this antenna, recalling the giant rabbit ears on my grandparents' TVs that picked up virtually zero reception.  I was definitely pleased with how it looked...
and the astonished at the reception!  We were able to get all of the network stations, 2 PBS stations and 4 random country music channels---about 18 channels all together, and in HD!  This was more and more acceptable as the minutes went by!  It can be wall mounted, painted, etc...and here's the best part- it costs $20.00!!  amazing.


Next, he installed the Roku-a tiny black box about as big as my hand. (www.roku.com) 


Although we've had it for a while, I've never actually used it.  Roku connects  to your TV and wireless (Wi-Fi) network at home and accesses all of your streaming videos like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...whatever you already have a subscription for.  It also has it's own channels, you tube, etc.I haven't done much on it yet except watch a few Netflix videos and let the kids search things on You Tube. Do not ask me about the R rated Disney Princess clip I unknowingly started then walked away ... (Ariel and Prince Eric-no clothes-next scene-Eric holding a baby that looks just like him). I couldn't get to the remote fast enough.  


Moving on.....I think I will survive this no cable transition. I may have to pull a few DVR all-nighters---maybe I'll have a DVR party!

1 comment:

  1. you'd better invite me for a dvr party!!! trash tv marathon and junk food.....CALLING MY NAME!!!

    ReplyDelete